The United States Army Medical Department Activity (MEDDAC), Fort George G. Meade, has a rich and proud history.
Our roots extend back to Camp Meade Hospital, which organized in July 1917 as part of the original post. Consisting of temporary wooden buildings and tents, Camp Meade Hospital was located along what is now Rock Avenue, approximately one-half mile south of the present-day Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center.
In 1930, Camp Meade Hospital moved to building 4411 on Llewellyn Avenue, presently occupied by the U.S. Army Claims Service Public Health Command-North. The building accommodated 80 patients and the outpatient services required by the Camp’s personnel and their dependents.
With the outbreak of WWII, construction begin immediately on a cantonment hospital with 545 beds on the northern portion of Fort Meade, where Meade High School is currently located and the Fort Meade Station Hospital services moved to their new temporary structures in April 1942. During the war, building 4411 became an induction station and after the war an outpatient services annex for the Fort Meade Hospital until 1972.
The U.S. Army Hospital at Fort Meade organized on 6 July 1950 as a subordinate to Second U.S. Army.
On 29 July 1961, the U.S. Kimbrough Army Hospital constructed as a 145-bed acute care Community Hospital was dedicated in honor of Colonel James Clause Kimbrough, the “Father of U.S. Army Urology” and a veteran of both world wars. The cantonment hospital closed except for five buildings used as warehouses for the installation’s medical supplies and administrative areas and classrooms for other installation activities.
On 1 April 1968, the U.S. Kimbrough Army Hospital transferred to First U.S. Army. During that same year, on 1 September, the U.S. Army Dispensary and Dental Clinic, Fort Detrick, was organized and assigned to the U.S. Kimbrough Army Hospital.
On 5 November 1969, the U.S. Kimbrough Army Hospital redesignated and reorganized as the U.S. Army Medical Department Activity (USA MEDDAC), Fort George G. Meade.
In 1971, a 9-bed Intensive Care and Coronary Care Unit was added and in 1972, a 44,000-square foot clinical area was added, replacing the old hospital annex in building 4411.
On 1 July 1973, the MEDDAC transferred to the U.S. Army Health Services Command, which was redesignated as the U.S. Army Medical Command in 1994.
On 13 August 1978, the MEDDAC reorganized and its strength increased from 550 to 982. That same year, the MEDDAC acquired several U.S. Army Health Clinics (USAHCs): Kirk USAHC (formerly U.S. Army MEDDAC, Aberdeen Proving Ground), Dunham USAHC (formerly U.S. Army MEDDAC, Carlisle Barracks), Fort Ritchie USAHC, Fort Indiantown Gap USAHC, Letterkenny USAHC, New Cumberland USAHC, and Tobyhanna USAHC.
Because of the 1995 Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC) Act, several major changes occurred within the MEDDAC’s structure: First, the U.S. Kimbrough Army Hospital was downgraded to an outpatient facility. As a result, Kimbrough closed its emergency room on 30 June and unofficially became Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center (KACC) on 1 July. The U.S. Kimbrough Army Hospital officially discontinued as an organization on 1 October 1996 and KACC was officially established. Secondly, Fort Ritchie USAHC closed and ceased operations on 31 August 1998 and the clinic’s staff transferred to Fort Detrick. Fort Ritchie USAHC inactivated on 1 October 1998, along with the rest of the installation activities.
On 18 February 2000, as it transitioned into its newly constructed facility, Fort Detrick USAHC became Barquist USAHC. Later that same year, Tobyhanna USAHC transferred to West Point USA MEDDAC.
On 5 September 2007, the Warrior Transition Unit, Alpha Company, KACC, was established.
Because of the 2005 BRAC decision, in October 2010, the MEDDAC acquired Andrew Rader and Fort McNair USAHCs located at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, Fort Myer, VA. In addition, in September 2011, the MEDDAC assumed command and control of the U.S. Army Centralized Allergen Extract Laboratory and became responsible for the operating expenses associated with the Northern Regional Medical Command’s (NRMC) Tele-Health Activity, when Walter Reed Army Medical Center closed.
Today, the Fort Meade MEDDAC is subordinate to the Regional Health Command-Atlantic (Provisional) (RHC-A(P)) and is a partner in the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) Health Care System and National Capital Region Multi-Service Market. The MEDDAC is responsible for providing medical and environmental services for active duty and retired military personnel and their families, as well as occupational health services to civilian employees within the MEDDAC’s extensive area of responsibility throughout Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania.
Veterans Crisis Line
79th Medical Wing
American Red Cross
Walter Reed NMMC
Andrew Rader AHC
Defense Health Agency